Publish Your Research Online
Get Recognition - International Audience
Request for an Author Account | Login | Submit Article
|HOME||FAQ||TOP AUTHORS||FORUMS||PUBLISH ARTICLE|
Payment for Environmental Services: The Concept and its Applications [PDF]BY: Priyanka Upreti | Category: Agriculture | Submitted: 2017-01-11 00:08:14
Article Summary: "This paper reviews the concept and applications of Payment for Environmental Services (PES). PES is a market-based approach to conservation financing based on the twin principles that those who benefit from environmental services should pay for them, and that those who contribute to generating these services should be compensate.."
Payment For Environmental Services: The Concept And Its Applications
Author: Priyanka Upreti
This paper reviews the concept and applications of Payment for Environmental Services (PES). Payment for environmental services (PES) is an increasingly popular policy instrument in the developing countries. PES is a market-based approach to conservation financing based on the twin principles that those who benefit from environmental services should pay for them, and that those who contribute to generating these services should be compensated for providing them. PES has helped Costa Rica, once known as having one of the world's highest deforestation rates, to achieve negative net deforestation in the early 2000s. The impact of this program can be seen in terms of increased forest cover, improved water quality, more carbon sequestration, conservation of biodiversity and more employment opportunities for workers. In India, examples of PES can be seen only at the local level in the villages of Himachal Pradesh and Sikkim. A review of studies has given which aimed to determine the willingness to pay of people for particular environmental services. But Insecure and ill-defined property rights, lack of sufficient credit and technical services to farmers and the existing socio-economic, religious and political differences can be the challenges against implementation of PES in India. In order to secure active involvement and support from Government of India for large scale projects, more research in both natural and social sciences need to be undertaken on relevant PES models and strengthening of institutions and capacity building is also required.
Size: 756 KB
About Author / Additional Info:
PhD scholar, IARI, New Delhi
Comments on this article: (0 comments so far)
• Engineering Bt Toxins for Effective Insect Control
• Pharmacogenomics: Benefits and Barriers
• Laboratory Data For Blood Test
• Celiac Disease: New Advancements in Detection and Therapy
Latest Articles in "Agriculture" category:
• Use of Biotechnology in Agriculture
• Plant Based Edible Vaccine
• Genetically Modified Food - Yes or No?
• Agricultural Biotechnology - Definition and Various Products
• Career Opportunities in Agriculture Science
• Synthetic Seed Production and Application
• Role of Biotechnology in Agriculture | Various Agricultural Technologies
• Biofortification - A Technique Used in Agriculture
• Biotechnology in Agriculture Development
• Biotechnology in Animal Feed and Feeding
• Biofertilizers: Types, Benefits and Applications
• Genetically Modified Food - Advantages and Disadvantages
• Genetically Modified Crops as Medicine
• Cryopreservation and Conservation of Plant Genetic Material
• Biotechnology and the Coconut
• Biotechnology in Rice Farming
• Bt Corn: Method, Mode of Action and Benefits
• Safe Insecticides For the Environment
• Plant Growth Promoting Substances
Important Disclaimer: All articles on this website are for general information only and is not a professional or experts advice. We do not own any responsibility for correctness or authenticity of the information presented in this article, or any loss or injury resulting from it. We do not endorse these articles, we are neither affiliated with the authors of these articles nor responsible for their content. Please see our disclaimer section for complete terms.
Copyright © 2010 biotecharticles.com - Do not copy articles from this website.
ARTICLE CATEGORIES :
| Disclaimer/Privacy/TOS | Submission Guidelines | Contact Us