Publish Your Research Online
Get Recognition - International Audience
Request for an Author Account | Login | Submit Article
|HOME||FAQ||TOP AUTHORS||FORUMS||PUBLISH ARTICLE|
Biotechnology Management: Current issues and its significance impacts on humansBY: Mercy Adusei Boatemaa | Category: Biotech-Research | Submitted: 2017-03-15 21:31:30
Article Summary: "The scope of biotechnology is a highly divergent technology and there must be an effective management of these scientific and engineering productions. Biotechnology management is the systematic way of planning, organizing, controlling and administering the application of scientific and engineering principles to process the mater.."
Biotechnology Management: Current issues and its significance impacts on humans
Author: MERCY ADUSEI BOATEMAA
Abstract: The term biotechnology is an interdisciplinary field that is highly divergence in content, approach, and emphasis in its definition and meaning. However, anyhow one defines it, it has some common features exist among them. Firstly, the uses of biological agents like the micro-organisms and cells of higher organisms which may be dead or living ones. Secondly, the use of biological components such as enzymes and finally Some useful products or services are generated to enhance the welfare of humans.
The term biotechnology was derived from two English words; Biology and technology. That is biotechnology is focused on the exploitation of biological agents or any components of biology to generate useful products and services. With this background, the area covered under biotechnology is very vast and involves highly divergent technology. Therefore, Biotech combines other technologies into one interdisciplinary activity (Microbiology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Genetics, Molecular Biology, Immunology, Engineering) that comprises of basic sciences and engineering. The scope of biotechnology is broadly grouped into four main areas. Medical biotechnology, Agriculture (both Plant and Animal) biotechnology, Environmental biotechnology and Industrial Biotechnology. In all these broadly areas, there must be an effective management and planning, how to control and administer these scientific and engineering productions which contribute massively to today's human growth and economy.
What is biotechnology management?
Is the systematic way of planning, organizing, controlling and administering the application of scientific and engineering principles to process the materials by biological agents to provide goods and service.
Issues of biotechnology experts: Good management based on biotechnology is essential and also a very important scope and the mechanism to drive national development and growth. However, lack of understanding and adequate support from Government possess major challenge to the growth of biotechnology industries especially those in low or middle-income countries. Another challenge are the problems of legal and ethical issues, lack of understanding and awareness of biotechnology from the public especially in the developing countries make it difficult to receive fund and support from the government and investors, thereby retard its high impact on nation building and technology.
Issues of management in current biotechnology scope
• The understanding of entrepreneurial mindset in startup and large companies.
• Finance: financing for biotechnology business, grant proposal strategies, and management
• Marketing: market analysis, marketing strategies for biotechnology products.
• Regulatory issues in biotechnology industry such as the clinical trial process for both devices and drugs in biomedical technology and FDA approvals.
• Intellectual property right issues and commercialization.
• Product design, development, and transition to business units.
• Bioethics and legal issues.
• Fundamental knowledge of principles of management and strategic management for biotechnology industry (project management).
The significance and impact of biotechnology management on the human.
• Better quality of food products, for example, dairy food, fast food, varieties of food crops, etc.
• Environmental and economic benefits: The presence of biotechnology management has lots of benefits in terms of transgenic crops that has brought an increase in crop yield by means of the natural mechanism of pest control instead of chemical pesticides and its facilitate crop increment without further clearing of farmlands thereby making it very important in low-income countries.
• Diagnostics and therapeutics merit: The contribution of biotechnology in health care sector has taken health care to another level where quick results are obtained, more accurate and sensitive diagnostic testing exist, therapies with fewer side effects and low cost of diagnostics are now seen in the health system.
• Biotechnology vaccine production: Vaccines help the body to recognize and fight infectious diseases.
• Biotechnology industrial facts: As a result of biotech management, there are more than 370 drug products and vaccines currently in clinical trials, able to target more than 200 diseases which include various cancers, heart disease, Alzheimer's disease, multiple sclerosis, AIDS, arthritis, diabetes. Biotechnology is responsible for hundreds of medical diagnostic tests, allows safe blood transfusion and also detect other health conditions early enough to be treated.
• Agricultural production application: Since many years ago, plants have become the main backbone for food, shelter, and fuel. With the higher increase of human populace now, the society demand for resources provided by plants and animals have to also increase as the world's population grows. The global population which has been approximately estimated to be 10 billion by 2030, has to meet the evolving needs of human, to achieve this it has been also estimated that world food production should be double on farmland in other to keep pace with the anticipated population growth. However, biotechnology with the broad knowledge of animals and plants genetics have the capacity to help meet the ever-increasing need by increasing crop and animal yield with decrease water and fertilizer input and the provision of pest control methods that are compatible with the environment.
• Increase in animal biotechnology: The scope and the management of animal biotechnology have major advances in areas like; enhancement to animal products, Advances in human health through biotechnology studies of animals and finally to improved animal health through biotechnology. Animal biotechnology includes animals like poultry, fish, dogs, cats, mice, rats, insects and also applications of scientific tools for cloning, genomics, and transgenic technologies.
1. Singh, B. D. (2014) Biotechnology Expanding Horizons, fourth revised edition, Kalyani Publishers, ISBN: 9789327222982.
2. Dubey, R. C. (2014) A textbook of biotechnology. Five revised edition, S.Chand Publishers. ISBN:9788121926089.
3. Managing innovations in biotechnology European Project Semester 2006. Project team: Adam Bartoszek Agata Bekierska Jordi Bell-lloch Teunjan de Groot Emmanuel Singer. Supervisor: Maria Woźniak.
About Author / Additional Info:
DEPARTMENT OF MOLECULAR AND CELLULAR ENGINEERING,
Comments on this article: (0 comments so far)
• Agarose Gel Electrophoresis
• Nutrient Deficiencies in Wheat
• Biofuels - A Solution for Non Renewable Sources
• X-Linked Diseases: Are Males the Victims?
Latest Articles in "Biotech-Research" category:
• Human Longevity: A Revolution in Biotechnology and Nanotechnology.
• Nanoparticles as Delivery Device For Gene Therapy
• Biotechnology as a Tool in Medicine: Focus on Artemisinin
• Tissue Cells and Skin Cells Reprogrammed Into Embryonic Stem Cells:-
• Polymerase Chain Reaction (or PCR) - Technique For Amplifying DNA
• Treatment of Heart Disease With Stem Cells
• Biological Activities and Bioassays
• DNA Sequencing: Maxam Gilbert Method
• PCR Aspects and its Future | PCR versus Cloning
• Plasmid as Vectors For Plant Transformation
• Gene Isolation and Characterisation
• Apoptosis and Cancer: A Review
• Extraction of Nucleic Acids (DNA and RNA) From Plant Tissues
• Stem Cells From Bone Marrow and Vein Leftovers Can Heal Damaged Hearts
• Gene Transfer Techniques: Biolistics, Bacterial and Viral Transformation
• Breast Cancer: Cactus For Womens Life
• Mtt Assay: Assess The Viability Of Cell In Culture
• Medicinal Plants: Source Of Medicine
• Biotechnology Impact on Alzheimer's Disease
Important Disclaimer: All articles on this website are for general information only and is not a professional or experts advice. We do not own any responsibility for correctness or authenticity of the information presented in this article, or any loss or injury resulting from it. We do not endorse these articles, we are neither affiliated with the authors of these articles nor responsible for their content. Please see our disclaimer section for complete terms.
Copyright © 2010 biotecharticles.com - Do not copy articles from this website.
ARTICLE CATEGORIES :
| Disclaimer/Privacy/TOS | Submission Guidelines | Contact Us