Publish Your Research Online
Get Recognition - International Audience
Request for an Author Account | Login | Submit Article
|HOME||FAQ||TOP AUTHORS||FORUMS||PUBLISH ARTICLE|
Examples of Bioresearch - Applications and Advantages of BioresearchBY: Shalini Balan | Category: Biotech-Research | Submitted: 2011-11-10 05:50:05
Article Summary: "These are some of the Bioresearches which have the basis of biotechnology and would be implemented in the future. Examples, applications and advantages of Bioresearch..."
These are some of the Bioresearches which have the basis of biotechnology and would be implemented in the future.
LIFE SAVING DRUG DEVELOPED FROM FISH OIL.
A substance called squalene is found in liver oil of some species of marine sharks.
Species : centrophorus scalpratus is found in abundance in the Indian ocean ,especially in the Andaman and Nicobar islands. It has a natural combatant for virus, bacterial and fungal infection. It is also an highly unsaturated hydrocarbon found in the liver oil.
Scientists have developed a technology for the separation of squalene liver oil which can be used as a life saving drug. The separation techniques facilities the isolation of squalene from liver oils and its purification to achieve 99.5 % purity level.
• Prevent the formation of cancer cells.
• suppress the formation of tumor cells.
• Strengthens the human immune system.
• When this used as a supplement, the drug helps normalize cholesterol level even in individuals who consume excess of fatty foods.
BIOSHIP TO SERVE AS ARTIFICIAL RETINA
• Biochip serves as a prosthetic retina for people who suffer from age related muscular degeneration.
• It can serve as a drug delivery system that could treat conditions such as Parkinson's disease.
This was developed by ,Harvery A Fishman ( director of stand ford ophthalmic tissue engineering laboratory and few colleagues.
As implantable chips release some chemicals the stimulate the nerves, normally nerve cells communicate with each other by releasing chemicals called neurotransmitters. The chip has four tiny opening that is used to control the environment of neuron like cells. The chip releases chemicals using electro osmosis. The cells responses are known using fluorescent dye
• It withdraws fluid when needed, which could prevent the toxic buildup of the chemicals.
• Chip can draw droplets of fluid in as well as out; it could enable researches to take sample in real time. Giving them a chemical picture of what goes on in the living tissue in certain processes.
• It could deliver some amount of drug precisely where they are needed, such as dopamine in the brains of patients with Parkinson's disease.
• It would be more effective way for treating very delicate tissues, such as those in the brain and the eyes.
However this not clinically implemented since the scientists need to look into the important aspects as to how these chip interact with the body, its bio-compatibility, clogging of micro channels etc.
SPECIFIC RECOMBINANT ANTIBODY DEVELOPED AGAINST BREAST CANCER CELLS.
Brest cancer is the major cause of death among women world wide. Although significant options have been made in the management of breast cancer, yet the treatment option available for cancer is not specific. As a result a normal and healthy cell gets killed .Hence the challenge was to create a target specific .Hence Dr Dilip from medicine of Tata memorial center Identified target specific molecules that penetrate the tumor and effectively kill the lesion only. He has identified and studied target specific epitope on the breast cancer antigen MUC1 which is over expressed and hypoglycosylated in breast cancer.
He developed single chain antibody from (SCFV) from mRNA of MUC1 - peptide immunized spleen cells forming a recombinant antibody called MUC1- SCFV.The antibody formed is a breast cancer specific .It is a small molecule and hence can penetrate easily. It is also suitable for tumor imaging and for targeted therapy. It has been reported that it has high commercial importance for the targeted cancer therapy.
TECHNOLOGY FOR BANANA JUICE EXTRACTION DEVELOPED BY BARC
The scientists at the nuclear agriculture and biotechnology division of Bhaba atomic research center, India have developed a technology that enables the exaction of over 80% of moisture as juice from the fruit.
• Gives good yield.
• No external enzymes like pectolytic enzymes or water is added during the exaction process.
• Banana juice can be used as excellent beverage like wine or carbonated juice after appropriate dilution.
• The left over pulp has an excellent aroma and can be dried and powdered. It has the taste of the fruit.
• The powder can be used to make banana biscuits, cake, milk shakes and as additive in confectioneries.
• The left over peel of the fruit can be developed as a commercially important enzyme called amylase by subjecting it to solid state fermentation.
About Author / Additional Info:
Comments on this article: (0 comments so far)
• Laboratory Data For Blood Test
• Journey to Bacillus Thuringiensis (BT) Crops
• RNA Interference - A Revolution in Crop Plants
• All About Elisa And Immunoelectrophoresis
Latest Articles in "Biotech-Research" category:
• Human Longevity: A Revolution in Biotechnology and Nanotechnology.
• Nanoparticles as Delivery Device For Gene Therapy
• Biotechnology as a Tool in Medicine: Focus on Artemisinin
• Tissue Cells and Skin Cells Reprogrammed Into Embryonic Stem Cells:-
• Polymerase Chain Reaction (or PCR) - Technique For Amplifying DNA
• Treatment of Heart Disease With Stem Cells
• Biological Activities and Bioassays
• DNA Sequencing: Maxam Gilbert Method
• PCR Aspects and its Future | PCR versus Cloning
• Plasmid as Vectors For Plant Transformation
• Gene Isolation and Characterisation
• Apoptosis and Cancer: A Review
• Extraction of Nucleic Acids (DNA and RNA) From Plant Tissues
• Stem Cells From Bone Marrow and Vein Leftovers Can Heal Damaged Hearts
• Gene Transfer Techniques: Biolistics, Bacterial and Viral Transformation
• Breast Cancer: Cactus For Womens Life
• Mtt Assay: Assess The Viability Of Cell In Culture
• Medicinal Plants: Source Of Medicine
• Biotechnology Impact on Alzheimer's Disease
Important Disclaimer: All articles on this website are for general information only and is not a professional or experts advice. We do not own any responsibility for correctness or authenticity of the information presented in this article, or any loss or injury resulting from it. We do not endorse these articles, we are neither affiliated with the authors of these articles nor responsible for their content. Please see our disclaimer section for complete terms.
Copyright © 2010 biotecharticles.com - Do not copy articles from this website.
ARTICLE CATEGORIES :
| Disclaimer/Privacy/TOS | Submission Guidelines | Contact Us