Publish Your Research Online
Get Recognition - International Audience
Request for an Author Account | Login | Submit Article
|HOME||FAQ||TOP AUTHORS||FORUMS||PUBLISH ARTICLE|
New Technology for Tumor Screening Appears as a Better Alternative to the Present Testing MethodBY: Betty Cummings | Category: Biotech-Research | Submitted: 2016-03-06 05:06:28
Article Summary: "Cheaper and faster screening technology for cancer cells is under development, which will bring more precise inspecting result. .."
Scientists from UCLA (University of California, Los Angeles) developed a new technology for cancer cells isolation, and the tech showed a great ability in providing a more accurate way for cancer cell testing.
Cancer tumor cells are larger than the healthy cells in size. By making use of this character, the new tech was designed with a dynamic filter system consisting of whirlpools at millimeter level. Thus the cancer cells can be isolated while circulation, which helps to avoid the cells being damaged or unable to perform normal activities.
The circulating tumor cells (CTCs) are one of the key features of cancer, but not easy to be collected in blood samples with the present methods. The difficulties mainly lay in two aspects, one is for the number of the cells can be isolated, and the other is for the low level of integrity as most cells would probably break in the isolating process. The latest method was set to address such problems and improve the success rate. Then the circulating and mini whirlpools are the keys for such issues. By keeping the target cells and filter away the small ones, both integrity and number goal can be met.
The scientific team led by Dino Di Carlo, had took experiments with the new tech on 50 cancer patients. The CTCs gained from these people were inspected, and the featured proteins for cancer were found. Then they compared the CTC level got by the present technology, a big gap in precision was presented by the comparison. About 80% patients got a higher level of CTCs than their counterparts at the same age level, while the number from the present technology used in this experiment is only 20%.
The up-leveled precision will help more patients to accept related medical test and treatment much early and leaving a higher possibility for cures. Besides, by studying the CTCs collected in this way, medical professionals can analyze exact development situation of cancers and place tailored therapy.
The last but not the least, the new tech is much cheaper in cost, then a lower pay from patients will be a following result, making it a precise and cheap way to detect cancer.
1. Article-UCLA scientists advance cancer screening technology to better personalize cancer treatment, 22,02,2016
2. Study Paper-Classification of large circulating tumor cells isolated with ultra-high throughput microfluidic Vortex technology, with doi number being 10.18632/oncotarget.7220, February 06, 2016
About Author / Additional Info:
Creative Bioarray is a professional supplier in cells, tissue array, probes, and Biobanks including human tissue banks (http://www.creative-bioarray.com/Products/Human-Tissue-Bank.htm) and animal tissue banks, as well as many other related custom services.
Comments on this article: (0 comments so far)
• Walnut Industry in India - Present Status and Future Strategies
• Antigens and Antibodies Explained [PDF]
• Carotenoids- Introduction, Origin and Properties
• Gene Doping - Techniques, Effects and Ethics
Latest Articles in "Biotech-Research" category:
• Human Longevity: A Revolution in Biotechnology and Nanotechnology.
• Nanoparticles as Delivery Device For Gene Therapy
• Biotechnology as a Tool in Medicine: Focus on Artemisinin
• Tissue Cells and Skin Cells Reprogrammed Into Embryonic Stem Cells:-
• Polymerase Chain Reaction (or PCR) - Technique For Amplifying DNA
• Treatment of Heart Disease With Stem Cells
• Biological Activities and Bioassays
• DNA Sequencing: Maxam Gilbert Method
• PCR Aspects and its Future | PCR versus Cloning
• Plasmid as Vectors For Plant Transformation
• Gene Isolation and Characterisation
• Apoptosis and Cancer: A Review
• Extraction of Nucleic Acids (DNA and RNA) From Plant Tissues
• Stem Cells From Bone Marrow and Vein Leftovers Can Heal Damaged Hearts
• Gene Transfer Techniques: Biolistics, Bacterial and Viral Transformation
• Breast Cancer: Cactus For Womens Life
• Mtt Assay: Assess The Viability Of Cell In Culture
• Medicinal Plants: Source Of Medicine
• Biotechnology Impact on Alzheimer's Disease
Important Disclaimer: All articles on this website are for general information only and is not a professional or experts advice. We do not own any responsibility for correctness or authenticity of the information presented in this article, or any loss or injury resulting from it. We do not endorse these articles, we are neither affiliated with the authors of these articles nor responsible for their content. Please see our disclaimer section for complete terms.
Copyright © 2010 biotecharticles.com - Do not copy articles from this website.
ARTICLE CATEGORIES :
| Disclaimer/Privacy/TOS | Submission Guidelines | Contact Us