Publish Your Articles Online
Get Recognition - International Audience
Request for an Author Account | Login | Submit Article
|HOME||FAQ||TOP AUTHORS||FORUMS||PUBLISH ARTICLE|
What are the Benefits of Genetic Engineering?BY: Amna Adnan | Category: Genetics | Submitted: 2010-06-09 11:01:17
Article Summary: "Genetic engineering has made it possible to fight against the genetic and other diseases. It has also given benefit to the agriculture and pharmaceutical industry..."
Genetic engineering is very useful technique of the biotechnology. Genetic engineering uses different techniques to later the genes of the humans such as transformation and molecular cloning. Agriculture and medicine are two areas which make use of the genetic engineering techniques most. Basic purpose of genetic engineering is to alter the genes. Those genes which are defective and do not work properly can be replaced by the healthy genes using genetic engineering. Different enzymes are used to cut the DNA molecules from specific locations and are replicated by polymerase chain reaction and then used for various purposes. Genetic engineering has changed human life positively. This field is of great benefit for humans. Some of the benefits of genetic engineering are as follows:
1) By using the techniques of genetic engineering, first human insulin developed for the diabetic patients. Insulin is a special component of the body and lack of this component causes diabetes.
2) Gene therapy is a technique of genetic engineering which is used for medical purpose. It is used to replace the defective genes with the healthy genes during the genetic and other diseases. Many heart and autoimmune diseases have been treated by using gene therapy. In future, there is possibility that gene therapy would be used to treat Huntington's disease or cystic fibrosis by replacing the defective genes with healthy ones or make changes in them.
3) Genetic engineering has enabled the pharmaceutical industries to make such drugs which fight against the diseases efficiently. For example human growth hormone extracted from the cadavers.
4) Agriculture has taken advantage of this field by modifying the plant species. Using the techniques of genetic engineering, agriculturists have succeeded in making pesticides and insecticides which protect the plants against pests and insects and help grow the plants quickly. Due to genetic engineering, photosynthesis process has improved in plants which have increased the resistance in plants against certain diseases.
5) Forensics has also taken advantage of genetic engineering. DNA fingerprinting has made it possible to identify criminals. The paternity of the child has also been made possible by using the technique of DNA fingerprinting.
6) Cloning is one of the most important benefits of genetic engineering. Dolly sheep was the first animal which was cloned from the similar parent. Now because of cloning, many organs and tissues can be cloned.
About Author / Additional Info:
Comments on this article: (1 comments so far)
• Bioreactor Operations- Vortex Flow Separation For Separating Cells
• Siro Clinpharm Pvt Ltd - History, Corporate Timeline and Services
• Garlic : The Bulb of Wonder
• New Dimension of Scope and Career in Microbiology
Latest Articles in "Genetics" category:
• The Science and History of Genetics. How It Predicts the Genetic Code
• Telomeres: Is It Responsible For Ageing and Cancer?
• Human Genetic Engineering,its Methods and Ethics
• Gene Mutation And Cancer
• DNA Technology Used in Forensics
• DNA Fingerprinting: Uses and Methods Involved
• Treatment of Genetic Diseases by Gene Therapy
• Human Intelligence and Genetics
• Ethical Issues Related to Human and Animal Cloning
• Mitochondrial DNA and Forensic
• DNA Footprinting and Gene Sequencing
• Biotechnology and Types of Cloning
• Designer Babies:Method and Ethical Issues
• Prenatal Diagnosis: Non-invasive and Invasive Techniques
• The Advantages and Disadvantages of Genetic Engineering in Humans
• Types of Genetic Disorders
• Bovine Somatotropin: A Growth Hormone
• Advantages and Disadvantages of Genetically Modified Food
• Genomic and cDNA Library
Important Disclaimer: All articles on this website are for general information only and is not a professional or experts advice. We do not own any responsibility for correctness or authenticity of the information presented in this article, or any loss or injury resulting from it. We do not endorse these articles, we are neither affiliated with the authors of these articles nor responsible for their content. Please see our disclaimer section for complete terms.
Copyright © 2010 biotecharticles.com - Do not copy articles from this website.
ARTICLE CATEGORIES : Agriculture | Applications | Bioinformatics | Biotech Products | Biotech Research | Biology | Careers | College / Education | DNA | Environmental Biotech | Genetics | Healthcare | Industry News | Issues | Nanotechnology | Others | Stem Cells | Press Release | Toxicology
| Disclaimer/Privacy/TOS | Submission Guidelines | Contact Us