Publish Your Research Online
Get Recognition - International Audience
Request for an Author Account | Login | Submit Article
|HOME||FAQ||TOP AUTHORS||FORUMS||PUBLISH ARTICLE|
Biocon: The Journey Towards SuccessBY: Geetanjali Murari | Category: Industry-News | Submitted: 2013-08-17 01:00:32
Article Summary: "The article takes you for a short tour of Biocon. Its establishment, expansion, specialisation, etc are pen down here..."
The vision "committed to reduce therapy costs of chronic diseases like diabetes, cancer and autoimmune diseases by leveraging India's cost advantage to deliver affordable healthcare solutions to patients, partners and healthcare systems across the globe" defines the objective of the industry.
Biocon was initiated in the year 1978 by Mrs. Kiran Mazumdar Shaw with a mere amount of 10,000 in a garage of a rented house with just two employees. They started with blending enzymes and supplying them to different consumer industries like, brewing, textiles, biofuels, animal feed and other such industries across the world. Then they entered into biopharmaceuticals arena. They manufactured generic drugs according to the standard protocol set by ICH-GCP. Thus, reducing the cost price of expensive drugs and making it affordable to the poor and needy population of developing countries. Biocon even innovated its first recombinant human insulin Insugen in India.
Biocon headquartered in Bangalore, India has expanded its regime across the globe. They have their branches in Malaysia, UAE, Europe, etc. The industry's Corporate Social Responsibility wing, the Biocon Foundation, is involved in a plethora of health and education outreach programs targeting the underprivileged sections of India.
Biocon's sister company Syngene and Clinigene are clinical research organisation involved in drug development. They offer integrated discovery and development solutions for both small and large molecules. They have collaborated with more than 100 global biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies. They develop the drugs for the following specialization.
• Oncology- tumors, glioma, Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC), Head and Neck Cancer, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma (NHL), Metastatic Breast Cancer.
• Diabetology- Type 1 & 2 Diabetes mellitus.
• Orthopedics- Osteoporosis and Chronic low back pain.
• Nephrology- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) and anemia in CKD.
• Rheumatology- Rheumatoid arthritis.
Till date, Clinigene has conducted over 200 clinical trials with the aid of large number of GCP certified investigators throughout India. They have manufactured 96 oncology and 120 diabetes related drugs. India is considered as the hub of clinical research due to its large heterogenous population, advanced technology, infrastructure, highly qualified medical officers and increasing number of contract research organisations.
Syngene, its subsidiary company is a CRO involved in early stages of drug discovery and development.
Biocon Biopharmaceuticals Limited (BBL) started in collaboration with CIMAB to develop and market a range of monoclonal antibodies and cancer vaccines. In March 2010, Biocon acquired CIMAB's 49% stake and BBL became a 100% subsidiary which was a huge success for the industry.
Biocon has its subsidiary in Switzerland as well which is primarily involved in the development and commercialization of biopharmaceuticals around the world. The clinical development of insulin is currently ongoing in the European region.
Biocon Research Limited (BRL) is working in the arena of development and research work in biologics, antibody molecules and proteins. BRL along with Mylan continues to progress the development activity on the monoclonal antibody program. Being a research oriented sector, the Company is in its initial stage of operations and has enlarged its scope to other challenging research projects during the year.
The company's branch in Malaysia is set up as a state of the art manufacturing facility at BioXcell a biotechnology park promoted by the Government of Malaysia. In the first phase of capital outlay, the Company envisages an investment of US$ 161 million and expects the facility to go on floor by year 2015.
Another branch, NeoBiocon FZ LLC is a research and marketing pharmaceutical company based in Abu Dhabi. Biocon laid this sector in UAE in January 2008, with 50% partnership with another pharmaceutical company NeoPharma at Abu Dhabi.
From 1978 to 2013, from a garage to several headquarters across the world, from two employees to millions of working hands, the company has marked its epitome of excellence. The journey of conquering the whole world in the field of biopharmaceuticals.
About Author / Additional Info:
Comments on this article: (0 comments so far)
• Protein Microarrays - Designed For Decoding Protein Functions.
• Dosage Compensation: How Male Equals Female in Gene Expression
• Exploration of Uncultured Microorganisms Through Metagenomics
• Applications of Bioinformatics
Latest Articles in "Industry-News" category:
• The New and Easy Way to Obtain P450-metabolites and N-glucuronides For Metabolit
• Use of Jelly Fish in Preventing Bioterrorism
• Latest Biotechnology Industry News and Pharmacy News
• Personalised Cancer Vaccine in a Week
• First Synthetic Organism
• Human Sperm Created Using Embryonic Stem Cell
• Gut Microbiota May Play a Role in Host Adiposity
• Latest in Pharmaceuticals : Sleep Drug: MK-4305 and Plastic Antibodies
• Biotech News From the World of Medicine
• Contribution of Biotechnology to the Latest Trends in Cardiac Care
• Biotechnology in the Manufacture of Textiles
• Biotechnology Companies in South Africa: Human Health
• Joule Unlimited - Pioneering Alternate Fuel and its Advantages
• Starch as Vitamin Carrier - A New Technology
• Phase IV Studies - A Market With a Proactive Approach for Growth of a Pharmaceutical Firm
• ISO-9000 Requirments, Effectiveness and Advantages
• Inoculum Preparation in Seed Lab of Fermentation Industries
• Enjoy the Benefits of Drinking a Cup of Coffee
• Understanding the Team Insurance Policy (Group Insurance)
Important Disclaimer: All articles on this website are for general information only and is not a professional or experts advice. We do not own any responsibility for correctness or authenticity of the information presented in this article, or any loss or injury resulting from it. We do not endorse these articles, we are neither affiliated with the authors of these articles nor responsible for their content. Please see our disclaimer section for complete terms.
Copyright © 2010 biotecharticles.com - Do not copy articles from this website.
ARTICLE CATEGORIES :
| Disclaimer/Privacy/TOS | Submission Guidelines | Contact Us