Publish Your Research Online
Get Recognition - International Audience
Request for an Author Account | Login | Submit Article
|HOME||FAQ||TOP AUTHORS||FORUMS||PUBLISH ARTICLE|
Latest in Pharmaceuticals : Sleep Drug: MK-4305 and Plastic AntibodiesBY: Amna Adnan | Category: Industry-News | Submitted: 2010-06-16 06:15:38
Article Summary: "Pharmaceuticals industry is developing day by day as new drugs are being produced and manufactured by the scientists. The drugs protect our body against various diseases..."
New Sleep Drug: MK-4305:-
A pharmaceutical company Merck has developed a new drug for the people who are suffering from insomnia. Insomnia is a disorder in which an individual does not fall into sleep or he sleep less than other people. The name of the drug is MK-4305. Neuropeptide or orexin is present in the brain which helps to regulate the body and balance it for sleep and alertness. By consuming this drug, scientists are hoping that the brain will be able to produce more orexins and it will also be able to control the arousal system of the brain from disturbing. That is why it will help the person to get good sleep at night and he will be able to concentrate on his work properly.
The trials of the drug were performed on the patients by dividing them into different groups. The group of the patients which consumed 40 mg of the drug, they got 7.9% more sleep than the other groups. This drug also helped people to fall asleep quickly and they slept for longer time than usual. Scientists then concluded that 40mg of the drug is best for the insomniac people as it helps them to sleep properly without any side effects. Phase 1 of the research and experiment gave good results to the scientists but they still have to continue the experiment in phase 2 as they still have to see any side effects of the drug. Phase 2 will check the quality of the drug and it will also be seen if this drug is accepted by the immune system and has not cause any side effects in the other parts of the body.
Scientists have developed new antibodies which are called as plastic antibodies by using the technique of molecular imprinting technology. They say that these antibodies work in the same way as the natural antibodies and help to hunt antigens. These plastic antibodies extracted from bee venom and concluded that these antibodies will be applied in the same way against bacteria, viruses, allergens and other harmful microorganisms which attack the body.
The scientists Kenneth Shea and colleagues reported that these nanobodies work in the same method as the natural antibodies and protect the immune system against harmful antigens. The procedure of making the plastic antibodies is that the scientists mixed the component of bee venom, melittin, with monomers. This mixture becomes hard when it is attached around the poison. Then they take the hardened material and make plastic antibodies with it.
About Author / Additional Info:
Comments on this article: (0 comments so far)
• Stem Cell Research: Is It The Future Answer For Ailments?
• Transgenic Tomato: Transgenic Plants Can Be Insecticidal
• Searching the Dreadful Yersinia in a Crowd
• Celiac Disease: New Advancements in Detection and Therapy
Latest Articles in "Industry-News" category:
• The New and Easy Way to Obtain P450-metabolites and N-glucuronides For Metabolit
• Use of Jelly Fish in Preventing Bioterrorism
• Latest Biotechnology Industry News and Pharmacy News
• Personalised Cancer Vaccine in a Week
• First Synthetic Organism
• Human Sperm Created Using Embryonic Stem Cell
• Gut Microbiota May Play a Role in Host Adiposity
• Biotech News From the World of Medicine
• Contribution of Biotechnology to the Latest Trends in Cardiac Care
• Biotechnology in the Manufacture of Textiles
• Biotechnology Companies in South Africa: Human Health
• Joule Unlimited - Pioneering Alternate Fuel and its Advantages
• Starch as Vitamin Carrier - A New Technology
• Phase IV Studies - A Market With a Proactive Approach for Growth of a Pharmaceutical Firm
• ISO-9000 Requirments, Effectiveness and Advantages
• Inoculum Preparation in Seed Lab of Fermentation Industries
• Enjoy the Benefits of Drinking a Cup of Coffee
• Understanding the Team Insurance Policy (Group Insurance)
• R&D: The Poignant Loneliness--Brief Case Studies of 8 New Listed Drugs
Important Disclaimer: All articles on this website are for general information only and is not a professional or experts advice. We do not own any responsibility for correctness or authenticity of the information presented in this article, or any loss or injury resulting from it. We do not endorse these articles, we are neither affiliated with the authors of these articles nor responsible for their content. Please see our disclaimer section for complete terms.
Copyright © 2010 biotecharticles.com - Do not copy articles from this website.
ARTICLE CATEGORIES :
| Disclaimer/Privacy/TOS | Submission Guidelines | Contact Us