Publish Your Research Online
Get Recognition - International Audience
Request for an Author Account | Login | Submit Article
|HOME||FAQ||TOP AUTHORS||FORUMS||PUBLISH ARTICLE|
Use of Jelly Fish in Preventing BioterrorismBY: Nidhi Uppangala | Category: Industry-News | Submitted: 2010-05-20 17:10:50
Article Summary: "Jelly fish DNA used to detect pathogenic microorganisms in the environment in less than two minutes. Bio terrorism is intentional release of pathogenic virus, bacteria or any toxins may be in their natural form or modified form for mass destruction of human and live stock..."
Bioterrorism is intentional release of pathogenic virus, bacteria or any toxins may be in their natural form or modified form for mass destruction of human and live stock. For example small pox, plague or Anthrax anything can be used in bioterrorism. From developed country like United States and U.K to developing country whole world is under threat of bioterrorists.
Bioterrorism is most economical form of terrorism because these biological agents are easily available and can be mass produced in a small laboratory and easily spreadable, therefore can be used against any country, anywhere in the world.
Agents used in Bioterrorism can be divided into three categories
These high-priority agents pose major risk to national security, they can be easily transported from one place to another and disseminated, result in high mortality, will cause major impact on public health, may cause public panic, or require special action for public health preparedness
• Small Pox
• Viral hemorrhagic fevers
• Botulinum Toxin
When compared to category A these agents pose moderately easy to disseminate and have low mortality rates.
• Staphylococcal enterotoxin B
• Q fever
Category C includes the new strain of pathogens which are genetically engineered for Bioterrorism purpose.
NEW JELLY FISH BIOSENCER:
Current News is that Biotechnology can be used to fight or prevent Bioterrorism. Scientists say Jelly fish can be used to prevent this kind of Bioterrorism. Scientists and Engineers of Massachusetts Institute of Technology's (MIT) Lincoln Laboratory have come up with this unique biosensor which can identify pathogenic Bacteria and Viruses present in the air in less than two minutes.
They first created this unique CANARY Sensor using a high-voltage electrical charger they introduced DNA of the Jelly fish into Mouse cell.
Then they created a machine called as PANTHER. Panther device with sixteen chambers are loaded with immune cells which are altered to detect harmful pathogens. These immune cells are altered using genetic engineering to detect specific pathogen and they emit light of specific wavelength.
Other detectors recognize the release of light to indicate the pathogen that was detected. The device PANTHER outputs a list of dangerous pathogens that were found in the sample environment based on the released wavelengths of the light.
This technology can be used to detect pathogens in patient's sample and also in food industry to identify contaminates like E. coli and Salmonella species.
About Author / Additional Info:
Comments on this article: (0 comments so far)
• Environmental Pollution - List of Most Common Pollutants
• The Plant Hormone Ethylene and its Physiological Effects
• 5 New Genes That Contribute to Heart Diseases Like CAD (Coronary Artery Disease)
• Boule Gene is Responsible for Sperm Production - The Universal Sexy Gene
Latest Articles in "Industry-News" category:
• The New and Easy Way to Obtain P450-metabolites and N-glucuronides For Metabolit
• Latest Biotechnology Industry News and Pharmacy News
• Personalised Cancer Vaccine in a Week
• First Synthetic Organism
• Human Sperm Created Using Embryonic Stem Cell
• Gut Microbiota May Play a Role in Host Adiposity
• Latest in Pharmaceuticals : Sleep Drug: MK-4305 and Plastic Antibodies
• Biotech News From the World of Medicine
• Contribution of Biotechnology to the Latest Trends in Cardiac Care
• Biotechnology in the Manufacture of Textiles
• Biotechnology Companies in South Africa: Human Health
• Joule Unlimited - Pioneering Alternate Fuel and its Advantages
• Starch as Vitamin Carrier - A New Technology
• Phase IV Studies - A Market With a Proactive Approach for Growth of a Pharmaceutical Firm
• ISO-9000 Requirments, Effectiveness and Advantages
• Inoculum Preparation in Seed Lab of Fermentation Industries
• Enjoy the Benefits of Drinking a Cup of Coffee
• Understanding the Team Insurance Policy (Group Insurance)
• R&D: The Poignant Loneliness--Brief Case Studies of 8 New Listed Drugs
Important Disclaimer: All articles on this website are for general information only and is not a professional or experts advice. We do not own any responsibility for correctness or authenticity of the information presented in this article, or any loss or injury resulting from it. We do not endorse these articles, we are neither affiliated with the authors of these articles nor responsible for their content. Please see our disclaimer section for complete terms.
Copyright © 2010 biotecharticles.com - Do not copy articles from this website.
ARTICLE CATEGORIES :
| Disclaimer/Privacy/TOS | Submission Guidelines | Contact Us