Publish Your Research Online
Get Recognition - International Audience
Request for an Author Account | Login | Submit Article
|HOME||FAQ||TOP AUTHORS||FORUMS||PUBLISH ARTICLE|
Bioethics of Human GeneticsBY: Muniba Safdar | Category: Issues | Submitted: 2010-07-13 12:10:47
Article Summary: "Research in the field of human genetics is very thorny but could be very informative and used to predict, change or select the useful trait..."
As the progress is increasing day by day in human genetics by examining the behavior of genes that how human genes manipulate with the environment. And mostly the research is focused on behavioral characteristics. Although research in the field of human genetics is very thorny but could be very informative and used to predict, change or select the useful trait.
There are basically two types of diseases
1. Genetics disease
It is genetic based. Some abnormalities may be associated with chromosome number; there may be change in DNA sequence, structure. For example sickle cell anemia a disease of RBC in this disease shape of cell is changed and this shape is due to change in DNA sequence, transversion in sixth codon.
2. Infectious disease
It is due to environmental factors. Mostly affected by viruses, bacteria, fungi. For example malaria, dengue fever and AID. Infectious diseases can be communicable or transmissible.
Before starting any project there must be some precautionary measures which must be followed. Now a day scientists are interested in doing research in human genetic and want to study how genes expresses ,what is the cause of genetic diseases etc. To do work on these genetic diseases there are some prerequisites which are given below.
Approval of Project
Suppose we want to do a project on "Genetic Diseases" in humans. Before starting this project must be approved from higher authorities. For this we have to approve that project from Institutional Review Board (IRB). It may be a researcher, doctor (they see what are the risks), religious representative (they see bioethics issue) or a lawyer. IRB will be approved our research protocol.
Measures of biosafety are same throughout the world. For example symptoms are same in every person e.g. HIV, AIDS.
Bioethics issues are also considered that will be different in different cultures. Religious representatives look forward all the issues.
For genetic disease we have to draw a pedigree to check mode of inheritance. Then we have to go for clinical tests (diagnosis) for this we have to write a consent which includes
• Introduction of disease
• Risk (diagnosis and sampling) in percentage e.g. x-rays, biopsy, blood test.
• Voluntarily based research
• Money for time compensation
• Privacy issues.
The crux of this discussion is that one may totally understand all the precautions so that care should be taken while doing projects in human genetics. The person who is being under investigation is allowed to voluntarily participate in this project.
About Author / Additional Info:
Comments on this article: (0 comments so far)
• Nanotechnology in Bioremediation
• Gel Electrophoresis in Molecular Biology
• Various Methods for Quantitation of Proteins
• Laboratory Data For Blood Test
Latest Articles in "Issues" category:
• Issues in Biotechnology
• Gene Doping - Techniques, Effects and Ethics
• Effects of Genetic Pollution in Plants and Animals
• Potential Risks of Agriculture Biotechnology
• Pollution: An Environmental Issue
• Issues Related to Suspension Animal Cell Culture
• Issues Related to Attachment-dependent Animal Cell Culture
• Bioethics: Ethical Issues of Biotechnology
• Becoming Post-Human : Genetic engineering
• Gene Therapy - Issues and Ethical Aspects
• BT Cotton and BT Brinjal - Controversies and IPR Issues
• Hazards of Biotechnology (Disadvantages and negative effects of Biotech)
• Orchids : The Defined Beauty of Nature on Earth
• Electronic Data Capture - An Essential Element in the Field of DM
• Misuse of Antibiotics Puts You and Your Family in Danger
• Side Effects of Hormone Replacement Therapy
• Euthanasia: Types, History and Issues
• Issues in Food Labeling | Nutrition label standards in US, UK and India
• Counterfeit Drugs - Various Regulations and Instruments of Change
Important Disclaimer: All articles on this website are for general information only and is not a professional or experts advice. We do not own any responsibility for correctness or authenticity of the information presented in this article, or any loss or injury resulting from it. We do not endorse these articles, we are neither affiliated with the authors of these articles nor responsible for their content. Please see our disclaimer section for complete terms.
Copyright © 2010 biotecharticles.com - Do not copy articles from this website.
ARTICLE CATEGORIES :
| Disclaimer/Privacy/TOS | Submission Guidelines | Contact Us