Publish Your Research Online
Get Recognition - International Audience
Request for an Author Account | Login | Submit Article
|HOME||FAQ||TOP AUTHORS||FORUMS||PUBLISH ARTICLE|
Applications of Biotechnology in MedicineBY: Amna Adnan | Category: Others | Submitted: 2010-06-17 21:21:58
Article Summary: "Biotechnology has always become beneficent for medicine, agriculture and environment. It never makes any methods which are harmful for the humans or for the environment. Various applications of biotechnology..."
Biotechnology is a very vast field and its applications are used in various fields of science such as agriculture and medicine. Medicine is using biotechnology techniques so much in diagnosing and treating different diseases. It also gives opportunities for the people to protect themselves from dangerous diseases. The field of biotechnology, genetic engineering, has introduced techniques like gene therapy, recombinant DNA technology and polymerase chain reaction which use genes and DNA molecules to diagnose diseases and insert new and healthy genes in the body which replace the damaged cells. There are some applications of biotechnology which are playing their part in the field of medicine and giving good results:
By using the techniques of biotechnology, the drugs biopharmaceuticals were developed. There are no chemicals involved in the synthesis of these drugs, but microorganisms have made it possible to develop them. Large molecules of proteins are usually the source of biopharmaceuticals. They when targeted in the body attack the hidden mechanisms of the disease and destroy them. Now scientists are trying to develop such biopharmaceutical drugs which can be treated against the diseases like hepatitis, cancer and heart diseases.
These drugs are made by many ways and one method of developing such drugs is bioreactor. Bioreactor is a container which is used to grow microorganisms under the specific temperature and other required conditions. These microorganisms then make biopharmaceuticals. Though genetically modified plants and animals can also be used to make biopharmaceuticals but then there are various ethical and legal issues regarding these animals and plants.
Gene therapy is another technique of biotechnology which is used to treat and diagnose diseases like cancer and Parkinson's disease. The mechanism of this technique is that the healthy genes are targeted in the body which either destroy the damaged cells or replace them. In some cases, the healthy genes make corrections in the genetic information and that is how the genes start functioning in the favor of the body.
Pharmacogenomics is another genetically modified technique which is used to study the genetic information of an individual. It analyzes the body's response to certain drugs. It is the combination of pharmaceuticals and genomics. The aim of this field is to develop such drugs which are inserted in the individual according to the genetic information present in the individual.
Genetic testing is a technique of genetics which is used to determine the genetic diseases in parents, sex and carrier screening. The method of genetic testing is to use DNA probes which have the sequences similar to the mutated sequences. This technique is also used to identify the criminals and to test the paternity of the child.
It is concluded that no field of science can be successful until it uses the techniques of biotechnology. Scientists are working in the research area to develop new drugs and vaccines and are also finding cures for the diseases which were difficult to treat in the past decade. Biotechnology is a field of miracles.
About Author / Additional Info:
Comments on this article: (2 comments so far)
• Importance of Biofuels or Biodiesels and How they are produced.
• Pathogen Turns Protector - Salt Tolerant Gordonia for Cultivation in Saline Soils
• Substractive Genomics Approach to Identify Potential Drug Targets in Streptococcus Pyogens [PDF]
• Celiac Disease: New Advancements in Detection and Therapy
Latest Articles in "Others" category:
• Biotechnology, Its Techniques and Human Health
• Techniques of Biotechnology
• Nanomedicine and Disease Treatment
• Biotechnology and Livestock
• Bioinformatics: Combination of Biotechnology and Information Technology
• Gene Patenting and Its Uses
• Polymerase Chain Reaction: A Technique of Biotechnology
• Pharmacogenomics: Benefits and Barriers
• Human Genome Project: Ethical and Legal Issues
• Plant and Animal Tissue Culture: Procedure, Benefits and Limitations
• Therapeutics and Biotechnology
• Biotechnology: A Revolutionary Field and Biotech Challenges
• Recombinant DNA Technology
• Environment and Biotechnology
• Biosensors: Role in Biotechnology
• Human Insulin and Recombinant DNA Technology
• Biotechnology and Its Applications
• Genetic Engineering and its Methods
• Types of Gene Mutations - Diseases Caused By Gene Mutation
Important Disclaimer: All articles on this website are for general information only and is not a professional or experts advice. We do not own any responsibility for correctness or authenticity of the information presented in this article, or any loss or injury resulting from it. We do not endorse these articles, we are neither affiliated with the authors of these articles nor responsible for their content. Please see our disclaimer section for complete terms.
Copyright © 2010 biotecharticles.com - Do not copy articles from this website.
ARTICLE CATEGORIES :
| Disclaimer/Privacy/TOS | Submission Guidelines | Contact Us