Authors: S.W.MORE, V.A.KADAM and D.N.KSHIRSAGAR
Spirulina is a natural “algae” (cyanobacteria) powder that is incredibly high in protein and a good source of antioxidants-vitamins and other nutrients. When harvested correctly from non-contaminated ponds and bodies of water, it is one of the most potent nutrient sources available
It is largely made up of protein and essential amino acids, and is typically recommended to vegetarians due to its high natural iron content
The high concentration of protein and iron makes it ideal during pregnancy ,after surgery,or anytime the immune system needs a boost
Benefits of spirulina
1.Most nutrient dense food on the planet
The concentration of protein and vitamins in Spirulina has led many to classify it as the “most nutrient dense food on the planet “Compared to other foods for gram, it lives up to this reputation and is great source of:
- Protein: It is considered a complete source of high quality protein and is often compared to eggs for the amount of protein per gram. The protein in Spirulina is highly usable and has a net protein utilization rate of between 50-61%.
- VitaminB1: Also called Thiamin this vitamin in necessary for the digestion of fats and proteins.It is often taken for increased energy, eye health, brain function and for improving nerve functioning .
- Iron: Spirulina is a favorite food for vegetarians and vegans because it is one of the best plant sources for iron. Even for those who consume meat ,it has a highly absorbable form of iron that is gentle on the digestive system.
- Calcium: Spirulina is also incredibly high in calcium with over 26 times the calcium in milk
2) May help balance blood sugar Spirulina may be especially helpful in balancing blood sugar and, may even be as effective as diabetes medication in some instances. Spirulina not only lowers the sugar but may also lower HBa1c which is a long term marker of blood sugar level
3) Powerful Antioxidants Antioxidants are powerful substances that protect our cells from damage .The antioxidant that makes spirulina unique is called phycocyanin, which is a potent anti-inflammatory
4) May help with allergies Spirulina reduces inflammation that leads to nasal congestion and other issues and also reduction in itching and sneezing
5) Helps remove heavy metals Spirulina can bind with heavy metals in the body and help remove them. It is also extremely high in Chlorophyll ,which helps remove toxins from the blood and boost the immune system. Infact, one study found that 5grams of spirulina daily combined With zinc supplementation was enough to reduce arsenic toxicity.
6) Muscle and Endurance Benefits Spirulina is known to increase fat burning during exercise .its high antioxidant content makes it beneficial in reducing exercise induced oxidation which leads to muscle fatigue and inability to gain muscle.
P.D Karkos, S.C Leong, C.D Karkos, N.Sivaji and D.A.Assimakopoulos
Spirulina in clinical Practice: Evidence-Based Human Applications Evidence based complementary and Altenative Medicine,vol.2011,
About Author / Additional Info: