Authors: A.S.Gawali*, L. S. Palashikar, R. B. Narawade
(Assistant Professor, K. K.Wagh College of Agricultural biotechnology, Nashik.)
Health – Health is the state of complete physical & mental well being of the animal when all the body mechanisms functions properly .
Diseases - Any disorder in the health which cause discomfort to animal or any change in general stage of the body or any part of the body which disturbs the performance of vital functions is disease
A diseased animal can be spotted out from some parameter following they are:
|Parameters||Healthy Animals||Sick Animal|
|1)Look of the animal||Smart, Active, Alert||Dull, Inactive|
|3)Eyes||Wide open,bright||White deposition at corners of the eye,dull|
|4)Nose||No discharge from nose||May some discharge|
|Parameters||Healthy Animals||Sick Animals|
|5) Mouth||Wet & without odour||Mouth is dry & Saliva hanging|
|8)Muzzle||Wet,cold,&shining||Dry & dirty|
|9)Feed & water intake||Normal||Reduced or stop|
|10)Temprature||38.5 % normally||More than 40 %|
|11)Pulse/min||60 to 70||More than 70|
|13)Faeces||Normal without bed smell||Dry & loose with bed odour|
|14)Response to call||Quick||Slow|
Classification of Diseases -According to Causes
(A) Infectious Diseases -caused by infection of bacteria, fungi, virus, protozoa,
Eg. Rinderpest, T.B.
(B) Contagious diseases –
Spread due to direct or indirect contact with diseased animals
Eg. Anthrax, B.Q.
This disease caused due to unknown specific causal organism.
Classification of Diseases -According to Duration & Severity
1) Chronic Diseases –
Diseased running prolonged time
Takes several weeks to cure
2) Sub acute disease –
Affect suddenly but takes long time to cure
3) Acute diseases -disease running very short
course. eg- B.Q. & H.S.
4) Pre-acute diseases:- such infections affect animals very sudden and even before symptoms are exhibited the animal dies.
Classification of Diseases -According to beginning of Diseases
Transmitted by mother to its offspring during pregnancy
Transmitted from parents to offsprings hereditary
3) Acquired disease :-
Infections get after birth of animal during growing period.
4) According to area/species:-
1) Epizootic : Affects animals of large area/region .
2) Enzootic disease : - This disease on specific to particular breeds or species of animals
3) Exotic: - This disease brought by animals when imported from other country.
4) Sporadic diseases: - Occur anywhere sporadically
5) Panzootic diseases :- This diseases affects different species or breeds in a country at a time
Banarjee, G.C. : Textbook of Animal Husbandry
About Author / Additional Info: