Wedge grafting in guava: Efficient way of multiplication under mid hills of Meghalaya
N.A. Deshmukh and R.K. Patel
Division of horticulture ICAR Research Complex for NEH Region, Umiam (793103) Meghalaya
Among Guava cultivars like Allahabad Safeda and Lucknow 49 demand for planting material of promising lines like RCGH 7, RCGH 4 and RCGH 1 developed by ICAR Research Complex for NEH Region, Umiam Meghalaya is huge among the growers. In vegetative propagation, wedge grafting is an easy and quick method of guava multiplication under mid hills of Meghalaya.
1. The rootstocks seeds are sown in the nursery during February-March under Mid hill condition. The germination and vigour of the seedling can be improved by soaking in GA3 (3 g/liter of water) for 12 hours or in water for 24 hours.
2. The seedlings are grown in the nursery for approximately 10-12 months. When stem diameter reaches pencil thickness they are ready for wedge grafting.
3. The 3 to 4 month old scion shoot of pencil thickness having roundish shape with 3 to 4 healthy buds and 15 to 20 cm long is selected form desired variety for grafting purpose.
4. Selected scion shoot is defoliated on the mother plant at about one week prior to detaching from mother plant. At the same time, the apical growing portion of selected shoot is also beheaded. This help in forcing the dormant buds to swell.
5. Then top of the rootstock seedlings is cut off with secateur at a height of 15-20 cm from the ground level
6. After this beheaded rootstock is split to about 3.5 to 4.0 cm deep through the center of stem with grafting knife
7. A wedge shaped cut, slanting from both the sides (3.0 to 4.0 cm long) is also made on the lower side of the scion shoot.
8. The scion stick then inserted into the split of the stock and pressed properly. The union is then tied with the help of 150 gauge polythene strip.
9. Immediately after grafting, the graft is covered with white polythene cap that is tied with rubber band at the lower end.
10. The scion starts sprouting after 12 to 15 days, after grafting. When new growth from scion is observed then cap is removed
11. The wrapping should be left in place until the union is formed, after that it is removed to avoid stem girdling as the growing plant increases in diameter.
12. The best time for wedge grafting in guava is during February-March under mid hills of Meghalaya
About Author / Additional Info: